Being in a service oriented business for well over 20 years and not just in the bridal industry, I can only imagine some service horror stories. The customer is often confused, frustrated and upset by circumstances that are exasperated by several factors. When and if you have a unhappy client, the most committed service providers need to LISTEN and EMPATHIZE. Clients want to feel heard first and foremost. I am forever grateful to have clients who have invested their hard earned dollars for our services. As a business owner removing emotions but acknowledging the client emotions is a necessary step to resolution. We love servicing clients to the best of our abilities with the upmost respect. We are not however your servants.
Sometimes in weddings or other events clients become unserved by their own actions. I have held crying babies/moms/brides. With weddings I’ve had my share of clients with hangovers, intoxication and I have even been puked on. Yes, that is a fact. That is a little bump in the road but not a deal breaker when it comes down to the client interaction. The following is what not only what I consider intolerable but I’ve listened to other artists explain why some clients are a hard pass when we are considering you as a client.
1. Not respecting our policy (a busy professional doesn’t need to make exceptions) when we have a policy it’s not to give you a hard time. Its our best practices to give you the client a clear expectation.
2. Excessive requests. Your 27 emails about your eyeliner are a little red flag that we cannot ignore.
3. Micro management of your artist. Example: holding the mirror the entire process, instructing artist what to use/how to use and when to use a product. Wanting us to give you lists of all of our products. Texting us after hours. If you give us a little trust and confidence, your results are better than scrutinizing our every move.
4. Respect our time. Artists with a high demand for services will not be able to accommodate lateness/constant rescheduling requests. If we tell you that your appointment is an hour and you arrive 30 minutes late then you will receive a express service. We want you to have the full luxury of your entire service. Punctuality is important especially for weddings!
5. Unrealistic expectations. We cannot make you into a snapchat filter, remove years of neglected skin or reverse the aging process. We can help and guide you to a better place.
This was a controversial article and I wrote it to make it clear that sometimes we aren’t a good fit for the job. Taking on clients is a huge commitment and while we absolutely adore 99% of our customers sometimes that 1% makes it’s way to our inbox. We will respectfully decide to pass on your business if we feel we are unable to please you.